Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Biome Books for MidTerm Assessments

Wildlife Biome Book research session worked pretty well.  Students worked in groups and I had a translator help explain the assignment to small groups of differentiated ELL learners 11/40.  10 groups of 4.  Let's not talk about it.

10 groups of 4.  Chromebook/Textbook/Foldable Book to research and record information on a particular Biome.  Most groups finished their graphic organizers and worked using various forms of technology.  Opened the book straight off the shelf to the page we needed.  There was the word F*@! written in bubble letters above the african savannah biome paragraph.  I left it open.  All class.  The kids are with me in this class and it is going to be great year.  HHMI is amazing and it is NOT just an AP resource.

I am dabbling in the sketchnotes realm, I need a way to have a document camera from above me writing like the overhead projector, but with paper.  Then reveal the sketch notes as we go.  Student teacher copied the sketch notes so we will decorate them as we go through the lecture with the train packet (if not this term, then in the review of April.

Mid term Exam in AP Biology.  A Data Nugget "shooting the poop" 2 long FRQ questions and 15 multiple choice on CANVAS.  They really tried.  I cannot wait to grade them.  But I will wait because I left them at home.  The rule if I don't do the reading guide, then you don't have to turn it in still stands from last year.  I couldn't even find my original notes and finally found them after I spent all night on Chapter 21.  We did chaps 19 and 21 but not 20 and 22 of the Evolution chapter.  I think this will work fine because it will help so much with phylogeny and speciation from a genetic perspective after chapters 9-16,

The 4B class is going to be a struggle.  40 is TOO many.  They keep moving seats.  I will help her in there from now on with individual student interviews around the end of the term.  I can pull up all their grades and have a little 4 minute meeting with each student.  It will help maintain my connection with them, but allow her to maintain control of the room.  If I go back in now, she will never get them back.



Below is my daily email template for students and parents.  It might just go on CANVAS.  But it's good.  


Quote of the Day:

To Do TODAY in BIOLOGY
  1. Drill and Vocabulary



Image of the Day


In the NEWS


No comments:

Post a Comment